Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hard-Sell

It's been a regular tactic that is used by sales "professional" to push their product to the customer. Just use whatever words or actions that can motivate people to buy their products. And, nowadays, this hard-sell tactic can be seen anywhere from MRT to bus stop, office lobby, and even changing room (omit last one). Although customers has the last say to accept or reject the offer, but sometimes they are already pushed to far to say no, and after the "cooling-down" period passed, mostly they will feel they have purchased or signed something that they don't really need. I myself have been the victim of several forms of "hard-sell", from should-bargained-more gym membership to the overpriced personal trainer, not-that-useful facial, too-expensive laptop, overcharged-premium insurance, etc. Most of this hard-sell involved considerable amount of money to spend or certain time frame of commitment, and the most I have spent and the most I regret is personal trainer, although I like the gym membership. This article should highlight some of us felt.

There is one way to fight back this hard sell is to accept that you are weak to sale tactic. I don't realize this before, and when I tell myself that I am very weak, I will be more careful when I face another hard sell tactic. And, another one is thick face, just don't care whatever pity face or how attentive the sales person is. I just went to one of the massage center to have a quick back and shoulder massage, and after the session, I was offered a package that was started from 20 session to 10 to 5, and the price keeps dropping with more free stuff throw in like foot massage. But I successfully walk away, although I already felt a bit tempted. Lucky..

No comments: