Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Atonement

I was just recently able to watch this wonderful movie "Atonement", with James McAvoy and Keira Knightley. As usual, Keira looks pretty, and I just realize that James McAvoy is the same actor in Wanted. He looks so different in this movie. This movie tells the story about 13-year-old Briony that made a false accusation that caused terrible consequences and drastically changed to live of several people. Hunted by her terrible mistake, decades later when the world was already torn by war, Briony tried to redeem herself (well, it seems a bit quite similar to Kite Runner, doesn't it?). The movie itself is very well directed, briliant storyline, and beautiful. I totally agree that this movie should win the Academy Award's Best Picture. I am not sure some of my friends find this movie boring, rubbish, and the ending is nothing good. I think the movie (include movie poster, etc) seems to put weight too much on James and Keira character, so people tends to fail to pay attention to Briony's character, and what she tries to do to redeem for her mistake. Anyway, that's why the movie is called "Atonement", not Beautiful Love Story, or any romantic theme, although the letters, that were sent during the war, very touching.

I actually plan to catch this movie in cinema, but being quite difficult to understand english in british accent and unable to read subtitle in mandarin, I decide to skip this movie until the DVD is out. With a poor listening to English, all I can watch in cinema is action movie, less talk, or mandarin movie (with English subtitle). Haha..

Talking about Atonement, it's actually very good if we're able to redeem mistake that we have done that hurt someone in the past. But, most of the times, it's either we don't realize it or it's too late to ask for forgiveness or at least do something about it or simple stupid pride, which actually cause a lot of pain in our own heart too.

Last night, I tried to join Collin's step up class again in Bugis (after failed for two times), and I somehow managed to finish the class this time. His step class is very energetic and the movement is quite tricky compare to other level 2 class. There are a lot of regulars in his class, so if u feel that u need to learn his movement, it's better to stand in front. I also try James W step class, which is actually very fun, it's just that his upper body movement (especially hand) is difficult to follow.

3 comments:

sgboy said...

James W indeed a lot of fun! He is the queen of camp in California Fitness.

see you next tuesday...like you I always stand at the front of the class 1 to follow the steps better and 2nd to have a better look at Colin's butt

Vincent said...

After attending James class, the other instructors seems very serious. James will be in reservist for another 2 weeks.

Haha, I haven't really taken a look for the butt, too much concentration on the movement. Which side are you usually? I notice a lot of regulars in the right side of the class.

DQCHEN said...

This movie sounds interesting to me. After watching crappy movies like 'Wanted' and "Hancock" I really want to watch a movie with a credible and touching storyline and less special effects. Thanks for sharing.