Friday, July 11, 2008

Unnecessary Guilt?

I have been in several quite stress projects for quite some times, so I am quite get used to the working for long hour with the stress demand from customer, management, etc. Then, suddenly after completing my last project, and boom, there's no future project on hand, rather than supporting existing projects. So, here I am in office without so many things to do, and somehow, I feel guilty of not contributing anything to the company. Although it's true that I need time to improve myself with the latest skill, given the industry I work with need consistent knowledge refresh, which I was used to do after office hour. I am thinking to check with my manager, with the "risk" of assigning unnecessary task. Do I need to?

And, several days ago, after completing short meeting with customer, it's still about 2-3 hours before official hours finish, and I was given choice to go back home, but I just felt guilt again, although at the end, I went home because it's quite far to go back office. During the project, when I need to consistently went back home only after 9-10PM, I told myself when I would have chance to relax a bit, and now I can take the time, but I just can't. Hmm.. As Galen said in his blog, I am completely a RAT.

3 comments:

casio_888 said...

Hi... Dont think you should feel guilt at all... You did your best (put in long hours working your butt out) for your company during the peak season... and finally there is a low period that you could take a breather... by taking it slow...it is certainly not your fault that there isnt any new job at the moment... ;n)
And am sure there will be new assignment soon...
Just hope that the 'low' period wont be too long... else your company might turn to other more drastic measures... ie downsize, re-org, retrench etc...
hv a good relaxing 'low' period till the new assignment comes in...

Vincent said...

Thank you for the comment, Casio_888. Ya, I think rather keep feeling guilty, I better focus on how to enhance myself. There're some small assignment here and there now. Hehe, it's true better not to have a long low period :).

Lj said...

In 'cool' mode I will think of the moment where I am in hot spot and relax is very luxury stuff, so I can appreciate and enjoy it.

Vice versa, in 'hot' mode I will think of the 'cool' mode where time running so slowly and very boring :)