Monday, June 16, 2008

About Depression

After reading Leon Koh entry in his blog about depression, I just think to share one story from my big family as well. I feel very grateful that I never really felt into real depression mode (or maybe I haven't realized it), hmm, but when we feel ok, I think it's better we just enjoy it.

Well, one of the stories that happened when I was young, was my uncle, that diagnosed with serious cancer or tumour (not really sure which one). Their family live in a very small village, that there's no proper medical to even detect early phase of disease. They need to travel using traditional small boat to another city (where I live and which is small too) for about 6-7 hours, and the journey is very unpleasant. So, after several times of treatment, at one day, I saw him sitting alone outside of my house, looking at the traffic. I was not sure what he was thinking at that time, is he thinking how his wife can survive without him with 6 small kids (oldest is only 12-14 years old)? I was too young to figure it out at that time, but I was sure that he was kind of feeling helpless. Well, several months later, he passed away. And it's a very hard time for his family to cope, they're certainly not a wealthy family, my aunt is just a typical stay home housewife. Luckily, all of the families came to help. Some takes the kids to bigger city to get better education or to help the business. Now, about 10 years passed, they are so much in better shape, the eldest son and second son have setup their own business, and I heard it's quite successful. I believe if my uncle is able to see this, he will smile from heaven.

Well, when we look back to our past, we can only take it as a lesson for us to journey to the better shape of future.

No comments: