Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Happening: Will Mr. Shyamalan Get Back to His "Sense"?

Well, for me, the answer is definitely NO. I am huge fan of The Sixth Sense, it's one of the top movie that I will mention if someone ask me movie to recommend. I also like Unbreakable and The Signs. The Village is still ok for me, because I set my expectation low before watching it. For Lady in The Water, I totally hate the movie. But, I think his next movie is still worthed to wait, and the trailer is quite interesting.

So, here is the next movie from MNS: The Happening, which actually not much happening there. It's about apocalyptic event: kind of "toxic" has been released to lead people to get confused, repeating word, and then commit suicide. As usual, you can feel the suspense and horror of the movie, how people fear with the happening around them, scared, uncertainty, etc, which is still very Shyamalan's style. It starts with the strong note as already shown in the trailer, but as the movie goes, the story just went wild and uncontrolled. The characters are weird and unrelated, and this "toxic" is just simply ridiculous. Well, I might set my expectation too high that the movie just totally failed me. So, if you decide to go to watch, my 2c advice: it's still watchable and a little better than Lady in the Water, but set expectation low, buy popcorn, and just enjoy your time there. Oh ya, don't expect any surprising twist at the end. 2 of 5.

1 comment:

Buaya said...

So very true... I left the movie hall feeling extremely cheated...